Verite is a Black-led non-profit news organization with a twofold mission to produce in-depth journalism that serves the whole community while training, developing and mentoring a new generation of minority journalists.
Launched in 2022, Verite is growing a staff that will be recognized as a leader in independent, nonpartisan journalism in the Deep South.
Verite is seeking an experienced reporter to join our newsroom team.
The mission is to create a newsroom that is truly diverse in perspective, background and experience.
To that end, Verite is seeking an entry-level reporter to join our newsroom team.
Job Title: Reporter I
Reports to: Managing Editor
Verite reporters will investigate and publish analysis and deep reporting supported by data journalism using perspective and accountability currently missing in the traditional media model. These efforts will shed new light on systems and policies that have perpetuated poverty and limited opportunities to persons and communities for generations.
The ideal journalist will be someone with reporting experience who understands that the disparate impact of race, gender, background and inequality is a socially relevant issue for people of all colors. This candidate will serve in a growing newsroom team that will thoughtfully create a multifaceted portfolio of reporting, including daily/breaking news stories as well as deeper-dive investigative features, to explore our state’s complicated race and equity framework and bring some much-needed transparency to its processes.
- Work with a small team of journalists who are focused on social inequities and racial equality in our area.
- Follow up on stories/leads as assigned by Newsroom leadership
- Willingness to collaborate closely with a small team of like-minded journalists
- Get people to talk, finding willing sources and being able to protect them while telling sensitive and timely stories
- Build trust: Many people who have been impacted by inequities in Louisiana have been victims of predatory actions from other journalists or media outlets. This will require empathy, patience and savvy.
- Work with our Audience Team and data and visual journalists to create compelling story presentations.
I Qualified candidates should have:
- A bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism or communications or related field.
- The ability to work quickly, with accuracy and good news judgment.
- Up to 5 years of journalism experience.
- Ability to independently develop and cultivate sources.
- Ability to use social media for research and to engage readers.
- Digital storytelling skills and an open mind to trying new approaches.
It’s a plus if you have:
- Louisiana reporting experience
- Experience writing a combination of both longform stories and investigations
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly, and under tight deadlines
- Knowledge and understanding of nonprofit journalism
- Experience working in a collaborative newsroom setting
What you’ll get:
- The opportunity to work alongside award-winning journalists and make significant contributions to one of Louisiana’s top nonprofit, nonpartisan digital news and information sources.
- Highly competitive salary with medical insurance, and options for vision and dental insurance.
- Cellphone stipend.
- 29 days paid time off.
- Up to 12 weeks of parental family leave, with return-to-work flexibility.
- Simple IRA with 3 percent company matching. Group-term life insurance provided to employees ($15,000 policy).
- Support for professional training and attending industry conferences.
How to Apply:
We’re committed to building an inclusive newsroom that represents the people and communities we serve. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply for this position, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people who are differently abled.
Please send your resume, contact information and links or attachments to relevant work product to firstname.lastname@example.org.