It was holiday cheer and merriment at Xavier University’s Convocation Center on Saturday (Dec. 17), as more than 2,500 children, 12 and under, received more than 6,500 toys at The Times-Picayune Doll and Toy Fund annual gift-giving distribution.
For 127 years, The Times-Picayune Doll and Toy Fund, in partnership with Fox 8 and Entergy, has sought to help New Orleans families most in need during the holiday season. Other sponsors included Verite, Element, Folgers Coffee and Imperial Trading.
This year the long-standing tradition returned to in-person gift-giving. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the distribution was canceled, but organizers didn’t let that deter them from spreading holiday cheer; children were mailed gift cards along with Santa letters.
Donations are still being accepted to help fund the event. Donations can be mailed to The Times-Picayune Doll and Toy Fund, P.O. Box 61065, New Orleans 70161-9979 or visit www.tpdollandtoyfund.org.
Read the latest from Verite
- New Orleans bringing in more than 100 outside deputies to help NOPD with Mardi Gras parades
- Council defers resolution to shut down bars labeled ‘complacent’ about crime
- Proposed short-term rental restrictions advanced to City Council vote
- ‘1619 Project’ docuseries gives voice to untold history
- Louisiana Democratic Party ‘funneled’ utility donations to climate candidate challenger
Help inform our coverage as we build a newsroom for and by the people of New Orleans:
Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us by answering each question.