On September 20, 1959, an item in The Times-Picayune announced a new subdivision — the first of its kind — in Jefferson Parish.
While the parish had seen significant residential growth over the previous decades, the new development on the West Bank was to be its first planned suburban community — complete with 4,000 air-conditioned homes, stores, churches and schools.
The Times-Picayune reported that Terrytown would feature three – and four-bedroom homes starting at $12,750. Along with central heat and cooling, the homes would have “fully-equipped” modern kitchens.
In 1958, a year before the subdivision announcement, the Greater New Orleans Bridge — the first span of what would later be called the Crescent City Connection — was completed. The bridge provided easy automobile access from central New Orleans to suburban West Bank communities. And developers hoped the short commute from downtown New Orleans would lure buyers. By early 1960, Terrytown’s developers had completed 15 model homes.
While Kapelow’s original master plan included 6,000 homes, he only completed 500 before allowing other builders to develop the real estate.
Terrytown now has more than 25,000 residents.
Help inform our coverage as we build a newsroom for and by the people of New Orleans:
Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts with us by answering each question.